Labels

Sunday 20 October 2013

Yoga Cake

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I had planned to make a yoga figurine for my sister's birthday cake. I have never done human figurines before, unless you count Fireman Sam as one. Well, I guess it counts, so this is the second then. 

I thought of so many yoga poses that I wanted to do but I also had to make sure that it could stand on the cake without breaking a limb. I watched a few youtube videos on human figurines and they seem to make it look so easy. It is always harder than it looks, so I picked an easy pose. A sitting yoga pose with both hands on the lap. There will be lots of stability, I thought. 

OK, first off, I made the legs with grey colour to look like tights. It took me so long to make mainly because my fondant was rather hard. Finally managed to get the even length and size for both legs. Then I pushed a toothpick into the centre for the body to be attached on later. I let it sit and harden overnight and then made the feet.



Made the body with an extra large breasts because one advice from YouTube was that you start with it bigger and it gets smaller when you work on it a bit more. (Sounds a bit rude...)
Anyway, then I made the arms but I forgot I wanted to make the arms rest on the thighs so somehow I made it into a prayer pose. 
I am not an alien
Then I made a sleeveless red tee for her, which made the breast look even bigger. Hahaha.... I forgot the extra layer of fondant will make it bigger. Then I made the head and it looked so much like an alien head. Did the eyes, teeth and lips. The hair was the fun part to play with. I gave her straight hair with a side part. It looked a bit like Medusa at first but then all started to fall into place. Drew the eyes and gave her a soul now. She looks like a girl now and not so much like an alien. 

Giving the hair some texture
What big eyes I have!
Ready to exercise

Happy Birthday Pei
The cake was the one that I wanted to eat, it was a flour less chocolate cake covered with chocolate ganache and a layer of white fondant over it. 
I made 2 yoga mats, textured it and rolled one up. The purple one actually looks very much like my yoga mat. Made 2 yoga blocks and a strap as well. Placed the yoga girl on the mat and it was ready. 

Even though she looks a bit funny with the extra big eyes and breasts, I am pretty happy with it. She looks energetic! haha....  I wish I gave her a bit more of a chin though. Happy birthday Pei, wishing you good health and may your life be filled with joy and positive energy. Namaste.

Yum
Yum Yum






4 comments:

  1. Namaste,
    Thank you very much for a beautiful cake. And for big boobs and eyes! Hahaha.
    Om Shanti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome..
      Er... who is Shanti? hehehee..... (I thought you are Pei)

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday Pei!
    Namaste. (with eyes closed)

    Chen, if I were you, I will make bigger boobs!

    ReplyDelete