Labels

Sunday 7 April 2013

Week 26 Cheese & Bacon Buns

Oh wow! It has been more than a month since I posted anything on my blog. This is week 26 where we made some nice breads. We made cheese and bacon buns, ciabatta, wholemeal bread and lovely brioche.

The cheese and bacon bun was really quite nice to eat. Mainly because I brought in more cheese from home to add to the recipe. Ha ha... as you can see the topping is all cheese. 
It has so much cheese that you cannot really see the design of the bun. If you look close enough, you will see the big bun is actually in a shape of a twist. 
Cheese & Bacon Bun
We made 2 types of Ciabattas. One was coated with semolina and the other was coated with some olive oil. The semolina one came out quite nice. It puffed up and had big airy holes inside. The one with olive oil and herbs was rather flat. I think we might have had a little too much oil on it, it was more like frying the bread than baking it. 
I had the ciabatta the next day with some ham, cheese, lettuce and I toasted it. It  was a nice lunch. Don't ask me what I did with the oiled ciabatta.
Ciabatta with semolina 
Ciabatta with olive oil and herbs
We made a wholemeal bread. I think it was quite a success with this one. The bread had a good rise and a nice crust. It was nice to eat when toasted and with some butter. I wish they would teach us more on making healthier bread. Unfortunately, I think this is as healthy as they will go with breads. I want to learn about starters and sourdoughs but I don't think it will be here with this school. 
Wholemeal bread
Wholemeal bread
Brioche is an enriched bread with lots of butter and eggs. It originated from France and is a type of bread that has a rich and tender crumb. It is buttery and may seem to be a cross between a cake and a bread. It is light and puffy but very rich and soft. It can be shaped in a small fluted case with a small round top. It can be enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee. 
Brioche
With the same brioche dough, we made 2 other types of brioche which had fillings. This is a plaited one where we filled with cream patisserie and chocolates. I had dark chocolate chunks in it. Then it was plaited and topped with streusel which is a crumbly butter, sugar and flour mixed together. I really enjoyed this brioche. Eating and also making it. 
Plaited brioche with chocolate and cream patisserie
Yum!
The other half of the dough, we baked it in a round tin with a bee sting topping. Bee sting topping is almond flakes in a mixture of melted honey, butter, sugar and glucose. The bee sting is poured on the top of the brioche and baked till golden brown. Then it is cooled completely and cut  in half, filled with cream patisserie. 
Brioche with bee sting topping
Brioche with bee sting topping and cream patisserie filling
Products of the day
I have to say I really enjoyed eating most of the day's products. The only one that I didn't like was the ciabatta with olive oil. I enjoyed making them as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment