Labels

Monday 8 April 2013

Week 28 Hot Cross Buns

Easter weekend is just around the corner and our trainer said we can change the oat fruit loaf recipe into hot cross buns. I was happy with the decision. It made it more festive and since I have never made hot cross buns before, it would be fun. 

Hot cross buns is a sweet bun with currants or raisins in it and is marked with a cross on the top. Our hot cross buns is a little different, we have sultanas, apricots and walnuts in it but it is still shaped like a hot cross bun. It is traditionally eaten on Good Friday. It is nice toasted and eaten with a little butter. 
Hot cross buns
Naan with sesame seed and melted butter
We made some naan bread and a pita bread. I have eaten naan and pita before and I think I  have a lot to learn because I am not very happy with these that we made. Our puri had some interesting results. On a same tray, some puffed up nicely and some remained flat. I don't really understand why. 

Naan

Puri
What took the most time was the Turkish Delight. I think I was standing there for more than an hour stirring the pot of hot sticky starch. It is basically a mixture of cornflour, water and sugar. Turkish delight is a popular Greek traditional delicacy in the 19th century. It really requires a lot of patience with the stirring over low heat. Luckily my patience paid off. The turkish delight was a success. It set properly and I was able to cut it into cubes and coated it with lots of cornflour and icing sugar. 
Turkish Delight

We made friands again. It has a nice burnt butter flavour and the texture was nice because of the almond meal. But today I brought some frozen raspberries to add to the recipe to make it a little more appealing. It was really quite nice to eat. It disappeared not long after it got home. 
Raspberry Friands
Hmm.... I am feeling a little hungry for one friand now.
Raspberry Friand



2 comments:

  1. Hm...ok, I got to say the red plate looks nice (because I know you will scold me, for not saying anything bout the Turkish Delight) I still want to say the red plate NICE!!! haha

    Hehe btw, just curious, how does the delight taste like?

    Ming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.... The plate was a Christmas gift. It is very pretty and I love it. Thanks!
      The turkish delight is a little chewy , sticky and very sweet. hehehe.... not really something that I like.

      Delete