Labels

Monday 7 January 2013

Road track birthday cake

I love making birthday cakes. I will be thinking of what flavour cake to make, what decoration will suit the cake and what design the birthday boy or girl will like. This here is not a recent bake, in fact it has been more a while ago. But I just want to have it in my blog for me to remember how much I enjoyed baking this cake.  

This is one of my favourite cakes that I made. It was for my 8 year old nephew who loves little toy cars. He was turning 8 years old, his mom suggested a cake in the shape of the figure 8. 

I wasn't sure how to combine 2 round cakes together to make an "8" but I think I somehow managed. haha....Then I covered it with fondant and made a track for the cars. Decorated it with little traffic lights and cones. This was my first time using fondant and it was like I went back to kindergarten and was playing with plasticine.
joining the cake to make a figure '8'

Little cones and danger zone signs
I covered the whole cake with the ready-to-roll green fondant. It was quite difficult to smooth out the edges of the cake. There were some small cracks on the fondant. Maybe I dusted too much cornflour on the workbench and dried the fondant a little. 
Rolling out the fondant to cover the cake.
It was so difficult to move the black coloured fondant tracks on to the cake. I had to make it align and make sure it doesn't tear. I couldn't find any tips on youtube on how to do that, so I had to use my own method and hope for the best. Luckily it wasn't too bad. 


The cake is also decorated with his new toy cars.
My nephew decorated the cake with his new toy cars. He was so excited to cut the cake because then he can play with his new toy cars! haha.... I was so glad that he actually enjoyed eating the cake. He ate quite a lot of it, according to his dad. 



With a lot of help from watching Youtube, I managed to complete the project and didn't disappoint my nephew. I am glad I accepted the challenge! Spent days watching Youtube and it all paid off when I saw the smile on my nephew's face.










No comments:

Post a Comment