Labels

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Week 37 Hot Chocolate Soufflé

OK, this week there are 3 items to prepare, chocolate soufflé, chocolate almond pudding and frangipane tartlets. I organised my time a little better that day, had a workflow plan and decided to keep the plating up simple. 

I brought my own ramekins to school that day hoping that my red ramekins will make it look nicer during presentation. I changed the recipe of the chocolate soufflé a little. (Hehe... don't tell anyone) I added more chocolate and reduced the sugar. Greased the ramekins with butter and cleaned the edges before pouring the soufflé in. Then placed the ramekins in a tray in water bath and baked for 15minutes at 170˚C.

 It was so fun seeing it rise in the oven. But the weird thing was a few minutes before it was ready, the top of the soufflé started to burn a little. I mange to take it out in time before it got too dark. Quickly dusted it with some icing sugar and tah-dah! no one can see the dark top. I only brushed the plate with some chocolate to keep the plating up simple. As the soufflé was a hot dessert, there was not much time to play with presentation because it has to be served as soon as it comes out from the oven. 

Hot Chocolate Soufflé


Chocolate almond pudding was served with caramelised banana and anglaise sauce. I greased the dariole moulds with butter and dusted it with flour before pouring in the batter to bake. Again the puddings were browning too quickly in the oven. What was wrong? I finally knew what went wrong, the oven was set to grill! Oh dear! How did that happen? Well the label on the oven were mostly gone and I must have accidentally turn it to the wrong one. Silly mistake that should never happen again. Luckily it wasn't too burnt and it was still pretty moist on the inside because we had little chocolate pieces in it. 

My lucky day, I got a rectangular plate. Why so happy? Well, there are only 3 of them for the whole class of 12 students and you can only get it if you are early. Well I wasn't the early bird that day but I saw someone took all 3 of them when we only had to plate up 2 desserts, so I asked her to spare me one and she did. 
Chocolate Almond Pudding
Frangipane tartlets were not meant to be plated up that day, it was supposed to be kept in the freezer for the next week when we do dessert trolley. But I was practising my chocolate drawing on a plate and I had a few extra tartlets, so I plated 1 up for fun. I guess I must have had a bit more time than last week.


Frangipane Tartlet
Quite an easy week and I was happy I managed to do everything by myself and wasn't the last to finish. I admit that the plating up was rather simple but we only had chocolates and sugar syrup to decorate with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment