Labels

Friday 21 December 2012

Week 19 My wedding cake

Today is the day that I have been waiting for, for so long. The day we make our wedding cake. Since my partner is married, this will have to be my wedding cake then. For the past 8 weeks, all we have been doing was baking cakes and pastry and now comes the time where we get to decorate the cake. 

It is a chocolate mud cake with ganache filling and has chocolate glaze over it. It is not exactly how I would like my wedding cake to be but it will have to do for now. 

Ready to glaze with chocolate.
One big bowl of chocolate glaze.
 We had so much fun covering the cake with chocolate ganache, concentrating on getting the ganache as smooth as possible before we chilled it again. Then only we poured the chocolate glaze over the cake to get a nice smooth even shiny chocolate. We then chilled it again to set the chocolate. 


Practise piping.
For our summative exam , we need to make a cake for a 40 year old person. So here we are practising our piping skills. Ha Ha.... as you can see, I need more practice. 
More practise.
 Here comes the fun part, chocolate decorations. We were shown a few ways of playing with chocolate. How to get the marble effect, how to get chocolate shards and others. My partner and I quickly decided on which design we wanted to try and here are some of the chocolate designs that we did. 

Chocolate designs.
Glazed chocolate mud cake.
 We decided not to use all the chocolate designs to decorate the cake because we wanted to try to make roses with fondant and marzipan. The roses were the centre piece for our cake. I practised so many rounds , trying to get it right. I finally got it to look like a rose after 4 attempts. 
Chocolate designs for decorating the sides of cake.
 We used the marbled chocolate decorations for the side of the bottom cake. There was a support that was placed into the cake to hold the top cake. We were suppose to pipe ganache around the bottom of the small cake to cover the gap but in the end we didn't because it was running late and we were planning on separating the cake and we each take one home. Susy gave me the bigger cake to take home. 

Marzipan roses


My first wedding cake. 
So here is the end result of our wedding cake. It looks quite simple and definitely not good enough for a real wedding. I am still happy with the end product, after all this is our first attempt in making one and people enjoyed eating it. 

4 comments:

  1. Hmm... sorry, isn't wedding cake in white colour??? why chocolate?

    Anyway i think the orange roses stand out in chocolate background. Well, will you make me one for my wedding too? : p

    Ming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I think it should be white too.
      I would love to make your wedding cake!!!! Just say when!

      Delete
  2. I want for my wedding anniversaries! Read carefully, anniversariiiieeesssssss. Every year would expect one :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha!!! Sure...Does that mean I need to go back Malaysia soon? hehe.....

      Delete